« Get additional answers from Garmin
Why isn't my device receiving any FM traffic information and how do I troubleshoot it?
If you have a Garmin device with a traffic receiver but you are not receiving any traffic information, there are a number of troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the issue.
- Confirm you are using the appropriate vehicle power cable.
- Most Garmin devices will use a GTM traffic receiver cable as the vehicle power cable
- Some Garmin devices will use a TA traffic antenna cable as the vehicle power cable
- Some Garmin devices will use a BC 30 traffic receiver cable as the vehicle power cable
- Locate the sticker affixed to the cord or the plug. This sticker should indicate whether the cable is a GTM receiver cable, a TA antenna cable, or a BC 30 receiver cable
- Ensure the cable is plugged into the correct port on the device, review the manual for your device to ensure correct placement
- Check the cable position to ensure the cable is not coiled, bundled, tucked away, or otherwise blocked from traffic signal
- Confirm that external power is being supplied by the cable. An LED light on the cable should be lit (if it is not check the fuse in the cable).
- Update the device and traffic receiver software using the Garmin Express program.
- Confirm that you're using the device in a traffic coverage area. Different traffic providers will have different coverage.
It is also possible that the traffic service has been disabled. To confirm whether the service is enabled:
- Connect the device to power using a compatible GTM or TA cable
- Touch Tools
- Some devices skip this step
- Touch Settings
- Touch Traffic
If the traffic is disabled, you may enable it here.
If your traffic subscription has never been activated, you will also need to acquire GPS satellite signal to activate the subscription. After checking your coverage area using the links listed above, plug the traffic receiver/vehicle power cable into the vehicle and then into the GPS device or cradle. Allow the device to receive GPS signal along with the FM signal. This process may take up to 20 minutes.
If you have previously received traffic signal with your receiver, you may still receive traffic signal even without satellite signal. In this case, the device will use your last known position to determine coverage.
If you're still not receiving traffic after following all the steps and tips above, please contact Product Support.