« Get additional answers from Garmin
How do I resolve the "USB Device Not Recognized" error when connecting my Forerunner 205 or 305 to my computer?
There are times when the Forerunner 205 and 305 may not be recognized by either the computer or the Garmin program that is being used. Use the following steps to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.
To install the USB Drivers:
- Unplug USB Cable from Forerunner cradle
- Download latest drivers USB Drivers
- If prompted, select Run
- If Save is only option, double-click on saved file to run drivers
- Plug in USB Cable to cradle with Forerunner attached when prompted by installer
To verify the drivers are installed correctly and the Forerunner is recognized, check Device Manager:
- Click Start
- Right Click Computer
- Click Manage
- Select Device Manager
- Look for GARMIN Devices
If there is not a GARMIN Devices option or there is an indicator that there is a problem with the device, try the following:
- Reset all connections from computer
- Clean contacts on cradle and device using pencil eraser
- Try a different USB Cable if available
- Try a different cradle if available
- Try a different computer if available
Once the GPS is recognized in Device Manager, update the firmware using WebUpdater.
To update the device:
- Download WebUpdater
- Click on Download
- Click on Run
- Follow on screen prompts to update Garmin device
Once the Forerunner is properly recognized by the computer and the latest updates have been applied, everything should work properly.
USB Drivers - http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
WebUpdater - http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp