There are many situations where it may be desirable to install additional mapping to a Garmin GPS. One of the most common programs used to transfer mapping to a device is MapInstall. This software is available for both Windows and Mac OS X, and can be downloaded for free from the Mapping Software page of the Garmin website: http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp
Once MapInstall is installed, to load maps:
- Connect the Garmin device to the computer
- Open the MapInstall program
Select the device or SD card
- MapInstall appears in the Programs list under Garmin in the Start menu on Windows
- MapInstall appears in the Applications folder on a Mac
Click Send Maps (Mac) / Continue (Windows)Click Confirm (Mac) / Install (Windows)Click Done (Mac) / Finish (Windows)
- If all compatible map products installed on the computer will fit completely on the selected device, MapInstall will give the options to Send Maps (Mac)/Continue (Windows) or Customize
- Send Maps/Continue will send all the maps that will fit on the device
- Customize will allow the user to select individual map products
- Advance/Partial Install will allow the user to select sections of the map products without sending the whole map product
- If all map products installed on the computer will not fit completely on the selected device, MapInstall will give the option to Continue
- This will allow the user to select individual map products
- Advanced/Partial Install will allow the user to select sections of the map products
- If loading the map to a SD card or an older Garmin device, MapInstall will give the option to Continue
- MapInstall will allow the user to select sections of the map products - similar to the Advanced/Partial Install option
When selecting the maps, the storage meter displays how much space the selected mapping requires in relation to the available storage on the device and/or SD card. This meter appears below the map on both Mac and Windows on the map selections screen.
To deselect a map tile in MapInstall:
- Mac: Click to select / Click again to deselect
- Windows: Left-click to select / Right-click to deselect
To deselect multiple map tiles at once, hold Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac), then click and hold the mouse button and outline all the tiles to be deselected. Release the mouse button to finish the deselect. On Mac computers, deselect all selected maps by clicking Edit in the menu bar and selecting Clear Selection.
After MapInstall has finished loading maps to the device, disconnect the GPS and the mapping will be available for use on the device. If using a Mac, make sure to eject the device first before disconnecting it.