« Get additional answers from Garmin
Why am I experiencing errors with my pool swimming distance?
Several Garmin devices use arm movements and preconfigured data (such as pool size) to provide swim metrics.
Device that provide pool swim metrics:
- fenix 2
- fenix 3
- Forerunner 910XT
- Forerunner 920XT
- Garmin Swim
Discrepancies in distance may be caused by multiple sources:
- Inexperience in lap swimming
- Switching stroke type mid-length
- Stopping or walking mid-length
- Dramatic changes of speeds mid-length
- Performing drills that affect arm motion
- Interruptions from pool traffic
- Failing to setup pool size properly
- Using a pool that is too small for your level of swimming proficiency
To decrease the amount of discrepancies:
- If resting between lengths, use rest intervals
- Use a strong push-off from the wall with a long streamlining (glide) phase
- Swim continuously throughout the length at a consistent pace
- Use one stroke type throughout each length
- Continue to strive for a consistent stroke pattern
- Try switching the watch to the other wrist
- Use drill log 1 for drills that affect arm movement
- If missing lengths as a strong swimmer, consider using a standard-sized pool 2
As swimming technique improves with the use of the above instructions, distance accuracy will improve.
1If drill log is not available; use rest intervals for drills that affect arm movement.
2If lengths are being missed (under-counted) in a small pool, consider using a standard-sized pool as the watch may miss lengths for strong swimmers who only take a few strokes to cross small pools.