« Get additional answers from Garmin
Can I create custom waypoint symbols for my outdoor mass storage device?
Garmin's outdoor mass storage devices come with over fifty different symbols to choose from. If one of these symbols does not apply to the waypoint, a custom symbol can be created on many of these devices*. Custom symbols can replace an existing symbol or a new one may be created. New symbols are grouped together under the “Custom” waypoint symbol list.
Before creating a custom symbol, ensure your device is up-to-date with WebUpdater.
To create a custom symbol:
- Locate and install an image manipulation program
- Launch image program
- Create a custom symbol with the following guidelines:
- Create an image that is no larger than 32 pixels in width or height
- Create transparent pixels by setting the color to magenta (RGB= 255, 0, 255)
- Save the custom symbol with the following guidelines:
- If applicable, ensure no color space information is saved
- Ensure the image is saved as a 24-bit Windows-style bitmap format (typically located in Save As dialog box, under advanced options)
- If the custom symbol will replace an existing symbol, name the file using the <sym> element in the waypoint’s GPX file (i.e. “Flag, Blue.bmp”)
- To replace existing symbols, please see our complete listing of existing geocache and waypoint symbol names.
- New symbols can be given any other filename (i.e. “New Symbol.bmp”)
- By default, a symbol drawn on the map will be centered on a waypoint. To adjust this “hot spot”, include the offset from the upper-left corner in the filename (i.e. Anchor.10x20.bmp)
- Developers wishing to associate an enumerated symbol ID can include one in the filename (i.e. Anchor.7701.bmp)
To save the custom symbol to a device:
- Symbols should be saved in the Garmin (drive) > Garmin (directory) > CustomSymbols (directory)*
- Ensure no more than 56 custom symbols are installed to the device
Utilizing the above instructions will allow you to utilize custom waypoint symbols on the GPS device.