« Get additional answers from Garmin
Why won't my nuvi 30, 40, or 50 go past the Garmin logo screen when I turn it on?
We've discovered a problem with the nuvi 30, 40, and 50 products that in some cases will prevent them from booting up successfully. A software fix has been released that will resolve this issue, follow the steps below.
Things you'll need
- A PC running Windows XP or newer (This process will not work on a Macintosh OS)
- Your nuvi 30, 40, or 50 device
- mini-USB cable to connect your device to your computer
- Access to your vehicle and power cable once you have completed the recovery process
Update your Software
- Download and install the Garmin USB Drivers
- Download the Recovery Application and corresponding recovery file for your device, and save them some place easily found, like your Desktop:
Drag and drop the .rgn file on top of the Updater.exe Recovery Application. The application will launchWith your device disconnected and turned off, use your thumb to apply pressure to the upper-left hand corner of the touchscreenWhile still holding the touchscreen, connect the device to your computer using the mini-USB cableThe Updater program will detect your device and will list the device in the "USB Device" drop-down menuFrom the computer select the radio button next to "USB Device", Click OK, and let go of the touchscreenYour nuvi will now go through the process of updating software. It may power off and on during this process. Once complete, your device may display the following message:
- nuvi 30 Files:
- nuvi 40 and nuvi 50 Files:
The software on the device is newer than the software you are attempting to install. Installing the older software will erase all user data. Install the older Software?If this message appears, select NoDisconnect your device from the computer and connect it to your vehicle power cable while plugged into a live power outlet in your vehicle
Your device should now be recovered and to update the device software to the latest version download Garmin Express.
Still having problems?
Customers living in the United States or the United Kingdom can follow the steps below to automatically set up a repair for your product. Customers living elsewhere can Contact Us
for further assistance.
- Visit the US Garmin Repair Center or the UK Garmin Repair Center
- Click 'Go' to enter your device Serial Number
- Enter your Serial Number twice in the pop-up menu
- Confirm your model number and Click on your device
- Select "Power or Battery" as the Problem Category
- Select "Locks Up, Freezes or Turns Off Unexpectedly" as the Problem Subcategory
- Select "Frozen on Start Screen"
- Enter additional notes describing your problem
- Click Continue
- Click "Yes" to submit a request for a repair or replacement?
- Sign in to your myGarmin Account
- Confirm your shipping address and e-mail, click submit
You will receive an e-mail within 10-15 minutes after completing this process. Follow the instructions in that e-mail to complete your RMA.